Is this movie worth your $9.50?

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Ugly Truth (2009)

THIS IS THE UGLY TRUTH:

That I hate women raving about Mr. He Man (Gerard Butler, the guy with the ripped body).

The truth is, I'm not jealous and neither do I envy his torso.

The one truth I really want to say is: he can act. And he ain't that bad as Mike Chadway, an obnoxious or hilarious (this depends on your gender) guy who preaches that there is no true love in this world, only the ugly truth. His frank and curt comments on TV raised a few eyebrows and ruffled some feathers. Among those affected is Abby Richter, played by Katherine Heigl. Well, I guess you guys out there will roughly know what happens next. C'mon it's a romcom!

Okay, I will make the truth simple and less painful. To put it in football's terms, this is a movie of 2 halfs; an interesting and entertaining first half and a boring and predictable second half. Yeah, there are plenty of laugh out loud moments but somehow I don't seem to recall them now. Entertaining but doesn't connect enough (at least for me). Or perhaps the ladies will feel more connected? To Mr. He Man perhaps?

Now for the final truth: sorry ladies, you won't see any washboard abs from Gerard Butler. But there is always another washboard to connect your eyes to.

3/5

No comments: