Is this movie worth your $9.50?

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Death Note 2: The Last Name (2006)



Don't write my name please!

I'm not perfect. Yes, the dreaded prefects, more often than not, have caught me, during my secondary school days. From improper attire to getting my hair highlighted (yah I'm ah beng, but who wasn't one during those turbulent days?), I've done it all. My name is always on the prefect's little black book. The notion of seeing my name on that book irks me and thats what motorists feel when their names end up in traffic police's own little black book. A sense of helplessness will surge into our minds. And that's exactly how you will feel after you have watched Death Note 2: The Last Name; a sense of helplessness for those who died.

Picking up where Death Note ends, Death Note 2 resumes the battle of wits between Light (Tatsuya Fujiwara) and L (Ken'ichi Matsuyama). Now, another Death Notebook has fallen into the hands of another person and she is Misa (Erika Toda), a pop idol we last seen vaguely in Death Note. She is a fervent fan of Kira (Kira is the alias of Light in the cyberworld) and she proclaims herself as the 2nd Kira. However, she has something that Light doesn't have. Shinigami (Death God) eyes. Now, as there are 2 notebooks, will that mean? Yes, 2 Shinigamis, Ryuk and Remu (Ryuk is a very funny and surprisingly lovable Shinigami). Things, now, become more complicated (And I mean real complicated) when a 3rd Kira appears. Can the Kiras plot the downfall of L, or will L triumph? Will anyone discover the identity of Light? And the million dollar question: Who will be the Last name on that Death Notebook?

Well, I'm not sympathizing with those criminals. However, after seeing what Light did to them, I felt helpless and began to think who is Light to take their lives (You might think this way too I'm sure). Once again, human nature is in the spotlight. Power can corrupt even the most pristine state of any person's mind. The hunger for power is too overwhelming to resist. A Death Notebook is not only a weapon that can take lives but also a temptation (Think the snake in the garden of Eden); A temptation that will test your morality. And now for the billion dollar question. What will you do when you gain possession of a Death Notebook? If i have that, I will probably write down the prefect's names (Haha just kidding, I don't remember them anyway)! Will you do something like what Light did? Killing all the criminals and make it a criminal free world? Or do you think that Light is already a criminal himself? Seriously, I might just plan how I die, when I will die and whom I die with. I don't dare to think of any date but I will want to die with my loved ones. What will you do?

P.S: Thank you, moviesonspace.com
4
txq

No comments: